Refugee Week is a UK-wide festival celebrating the contribution of asylum seekers and refugees, and promoting understanding of why people seek sanctuary. This year it will be held from 15-21 June with the theme ‘Imagine’ and everyone is welcome. #RefugeeWeek202
Here in Calderdale, Refugee Week is open to all and is driven by our Valley Of Sanctuary – a growing network of local groups, businesses and organisations who have come together to make our borough a place of welcome and hospitality for all, especially for refugees seeking sanctuary from war and persecution. It’s part of the UK-wide City of Sanctuary movement, which you can read about here. @CalderdaleVoS #CalderdaleVOS
- Monday 15th, purchase a delicious Iranian two-course, takeaway meal by Leila’s Kitchen and Together We Grow. Available to pick up from St Augustine’s at 12 noon. – NOW SOLD OUT!
- Tuesday 16th & Wednesday 17th St Augustine’s Centre will share a brand new video featuring some of the Refugees and Asylum Seekers living in Calderdale, and some beautiful statistics by artist Ruth Dyer @infostaugs @StAugustinesCentreHalifax
- Thursday 18th onward, share recipes from around the world #BonAppetitCalderdale
- On Friday 19th Artworks will share the results of #HereIAm, a project celebrating the people of Calderdale featuring creative work by many Calderdale residents including asylum seekers and refugees, on social media
- On Saturday 20th at 2pm watch Stand and Be Counted, a theatre of sanctuary, perform #HereIAm on Zoom and their Facebook page
- On Sunday 21st, a special recording of #HereIAm at the Piece Hall will be shared on their social media @TheArtw0rks @ThePieceHall
- Why not make a square for this Corona Quilt project
- Read a book, watch a film, share a song, join the movement… – take part in one or more of these eight simple acts which can be done at home and help you stand with refugees.
- Calderdale Libraries have made a range of recommended books available in their digital library, as e-books and audio-books. It’s free to join!
- Dip into this wide array of free online events happening across the UK.