St. Augustine’s Centre, based on Hanson Lane in Halifax, is a community centre for anyone who needs help, advice or support. Since 1968 they have offered a warm and welcoming environment for people to access support and advice from friendly workers and volunteers. They aim to help individuals with basic needs, and hope to build confidence to encourage participation within the community and to prevent isolation. They strive to respond to the needs of our community, offering specialist advice and support to refugees, asylum seekers and migrants. St. Augustine’s welcomes everyone, regardless of faith, ethnicity or background, to access the support they need and take part in social activities and events.
St. Augustine’s offer a range of support services including:
- Welcome Programme
- Advice Drop-In
- Housing Drop-In
- Welcome Cafe and Community Lunch
- Social & Wellbeing Activities
- English Classes
- Employability Programme
Full details of their support services can be found on their website www.staugustinescentrehalifax.org.uk
SERVICE UPDATE — CORONAVIRUS
Due to the Covid-19 outbreak, St Augustine’s plans are as follows for the foreseeable future:
- Advice support line: 07743045625 / 07756262024 10am – 3pm on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.
- Hot lunches provided in takeaway boxes on Mondays and Thursdays from St Augustine’s. For collection and, when possible, delivery.
- New food parcel service in partnership with Halifax Opportunities Trust and Himmat. Referrals and delivery only.
- We are also exploring online activities including English classes, support groups and sharing-up-to date information.
People from all over the world come together as family at St Augustine’s, and it feels strange not to be able to open the doors. But our priority now is to keep our centre users, staff and volunteers safe by staying at home, and keeping in regular communication.
Like so many out there, CV-19 is costing us considerably in terms of time and resources, with a depleted team. Donations are especially welcome now and can be made to: https://www.give.net/20171078
Thank you to everyone who is working, volunteering and supporting us currently. You replenish us. If you are interested in volunteering with us please email [email protected] – in time we may need willing and well people to help with food packing, delivery, cooking. Hygiene advice and equipment supplied.